Here is one of my attempts at creating something without a specific subject matter. It seems to me that to create something emotive and effective without a direct visual message is very difficult, far more difficult than creating an image full of opaque signifiers.
Originally intended to be a part two of my sandman painting (see Work In Progress #Z), I ended up reacting to my friend Craig’s conversation and began improvising with oil paint smudged on a plastic cd sleeve, followed by some vigorous sanding (so very vigorous) and some different shades of white in the middle. I really enjoy looking at it, and it is very difficult not adding more, and for that reason I will not add anymore, good or bad, it will forever remain an experiment in simplicity.
Waiting for some of my previous painting to dry, so I started a new one today. I had a stronger concept of what I wanted to do, now that the basics are down I’m going to carry on improvising over the top.
I love the way the paint begins to look when you repaint the parts thicker with a slightly varied colour, so that will be the next step. I’m also trying to blend colours as little as possible with this one, which would be easier with acrylic, but I much prefer working with oil.
This is my first foray into painting with oil paints, I have not used any thinners for this one, the paint is straight from the tube. I’m enjoying using them a hell of a lot more than acrylic. As with most art I do for fun, I like to create it on the fly without too much of a plan… Originally this started out as brown feathers but quickly transformed into a golden head!
Each individual section was born from the previous, opening new doors and ideas every step of the way. Sat-is-fy-ing.